Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Bench




I found this awesome blog that teaches people how to build things themselves. It's called Knock Off Wood, I think. The woman designs plans to match items she finds at Pottery Barn and the like and then gives out the plans for free! I wanted a bench and so I decided to build one of hers. It was really a fun process. After printing out the materials list, Maddie and I headed over to Home Depot to buy lumber. A very nice guy there helped us to get the right stuff and even made the first cuts for me. Then it was off to the Stapfs. Brett is awesome and taught me how to use the tools and then let me figure things out and do it myself. I wouldn't have been able to do it without him. He is very patient and REALLY organized. I had no idea. We really have a lot in common - even though I don't like to camp!! It took two afternoons to put it together. Then I brought the bench home and stained it. I'm not sure that I'm liking the stain. I may paint it...

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I think being married to Bobby is crippling me! I used to do and want to do stuff like this myself, but now I have bobby and he is so much better at it and faster- that I let him do it!

    I had this conversation with him last night about tiling the bathroom, and how I should do some of it- but how it would drive him crazy to watch me, because he would do it better and faster. SAD! I need to work on my skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the stained look! But that is just me!
    Kacee

    ReplyDelete