Monday, October 25, 2010

Noble Orchard and Applesauce

 Last week I took a trip up to Paradise to visit Noble Orchard.  It was fantastic!  They had many varieties of apples and I could buy by the bushel.  I took home two bushels (one gala and one jonathon) of apples, a bag of fujis, and some cider.  I also got a few of each kind of apple to try at home.  When I got home I was very excited to start canning!
I used both bushels to make applesauce.  I combine the sweet and tart apples together to make a nice sauce without having to add sugar or anything else!  First I take out the stems of the apples and then I cook them in a pot.  They end up looking like this:
 Then I put them through my awesome strainer.  It separates the skins and seeds from the applesauce.
 I made quite a mess, and John loved it!  He's got a bunch of apple juice all over him!
 I then put the applesauce in jars and sealed the lids with a steam canner.  I ended up with 29 jars of applesauce.  My kids are loving it!!

1 comment: